Saturday, August 1, 2009

Being Creative @ Westerly Public Library

Yesterday, I held my second class for Cross Stitch at the library. Six enthusiastic girls attended. I started them with the small kit that I received from DMC's Mentor program. While three of the girls took to stitching like ducks to water, the younger two needed a little more hands on approach. The girls wish me to continue the program during the year. I hope I will be able to find space for them to drop in and stitch.

With the help of some of my cross stitch friends I am able to provide the girls with floss and aida fabric. I have pulled my old magazines for them to choose their future projects. One of the home schooling mothers spoke of using cross stitch as part of their American History unit.

This all came about because this year's Summer Reading theme is "Be Creative @ Your Library." Now I ask you, what is more creative than cross stitch or knitting and crocheting for that matter. I am also doing a couple of programs creating artistic trading cards for the kids. I had five revved boys for this program a week ago. Again they asked to be able to do this craft during the year. So far, I am planning a Christmas Card stamping project for one of the Saturdays in December. Maybe I could do a Thanksgiving Place card session.

My personal stitching rotation includes Crossed Eyed Cat's Labyrinth, Monopoly Board SAL, Dimensions Dragonfly, Christmas ornaments [can't wait for JCS Ornament issue]. I am also knitting and crocheting Christmas presents which I can't mention in order to preserve the surprise.

No comments: